Bible Based Marriage, Pregnancy, Birthing, Family Planning, Childrearing

Friday, April 9, 2010

Making the decision to become a Christian Childbirth Educator

Ever since the birth of my Elijah I have had a feeling. One that I couldn't put my finger on. I became very passionate about helping other families have the same amazing and joyful experience during birth as I had. Elijah's birth changed my whole outlook on life. I began to see childbirth as a time to grow closer to the Lord. It is a time to lean on, and trust Him. It is a time when He is allowing you to aid Him in the origional miracle... creation!

I was moved by this like nothing before. I prayed for understanding over this new feeling. I tossed around the idea of perhaps becoming a midwife, lactation consultant, or a doula. All of which were close but not quite there. I muddle along for several months looking here and there for the qualifications for each job that would allow me to help other families but there was something missing from each and I was far from qualified for any of them. Becoming a doula was as close as I could get but since I have small children it was out of the question for the next, oh 16 years!!! I would need to be able to drop everything to get to mothers in labor. No can do! I was slightly upset that I couldn't follow my passion for over a decade!

And then it happened. I was reading The Complete Guide to Christian Parenting and Childcare. In the chapter about birthing there was a title there I had never seen but new instantly it was exactly everything I'd been searching for: Chrisitan childbirth educator. I knew instantly that the Lord was speaking to me. "This is it!" I thought. This had everything, helping expectant families give birth naturally and gently, I could do the ministry/work on my family's schedule, and I could get certified in a year or less. I have begun to self study and am looking forward to the beginning of classes via internet this June.

I know the income will be very small but it is my passion. It is what the Lord has called me to do, that I am sure of. I have never seen my path so clearly lit and am greatful He has shown me the way. I only ask that He walk with me down this road. I'm sure I will need His guidance over the years and will be challenged in ways I cannot imagine but I am open to this challenge because this is what the Lord has asked me to do. He promises to never leave me or forsake me and to be my strength through all things. I trust that promise and am looking forward to growing closer to Him through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment